Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
About 45 km from L'Aquila, Gagliano is located near an ancient pre-Roman settlement, although the village is medieval.
Altitude: 800 m a.s.l
-- Distance from L'Aquila:50 km
-- Population: ca. 400 inhabitants
-- Zip code: 67020
-- Phone Area Code: 0864
-- How to reach it:
- bus, trains: railway station in Molina
- road: S.S. n°261
In the past, Gagliano had a considerable importance as a strategic location, and was under the Piccolomini and the Colonna.
Sights & Excursions
- The imposing Castle, built in the 14th century, but then altered several times. It is characterized by a defensive structure, which makes it look more like a fortified residence than a true castle. Set in an extensive area already rich in fortified buildings, the castle was built probably by Isabella from Celano in 1328, later it belonged to the Barberini, the Colonna, the Piccolomini, Sciarra and finally to the Lazzaroni. Characterized by a late-Gothic style, it has an extraordinarily fine portico, surmounted by an original arcade.
- the Parish Church of St. Martino, with a facade decorated with a 14th-century portal and a rosewindow of the 16th century
- the Church of St. Chiara, annexed to the former convent of the same name, containing beautiful baroque decorations in stucco.
Events & Festivities
- 10-11 August feast of St. Antonio and St. Martino
See other Provinces of Abruzzo: Chieti
| L'Aquila | Pescara
Genealogy, News & Links
- Emiliano Splendore, profilo Archeologico e Storico dei Comuni della valle Subequana, Gruppo Archeologico Subequano, Cat. N.551