|Abruzzo Province of L'Aquila Pizzoli|
Province of L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy
At the foot of Monte Marine, Pizzoli is a well-kept, lively centre chosen by many for their summer vacations and a starting point for trekking itineraries in the mountains of Gran Sasso and Laga.
Pizzoli rises near the remains of the ancient Roman town of Amiternum, and was probably a suburb of this Roman town, as many epigraphic findings have shown. In the early Middle Ages a Benedictine monastery rose in importance around Equizio, whose body (now in the Chiesa dei Gesuiti, L'Aquila) was kept for centuries in a crypt in the church of San Lorenzo in Marruci. In 1185 "Castrum Piczolum" belonged to Gentile Vetulo, together with San Vittorino and Rocca di Corno. In the Middle Ages Pizzoli (Castrum Piczoli) was one of the castles that took part to the foundation of the city of L'Aquila, where Pizzoli had an area in the quarter of San Pietro, building there the church of San Lorenzo. When in the early XVI century L'Aquila rebelled against Charles V, Pizzoli was given by the king to Captain Francesco Aldana (1533) and later on to Giovanni De Felicis, then passed to other feudal Lords until in 1575 it was bought by Ferrante de Torres, whose descendants kept it until feudalism was abolished in 1809. In 1703 the settlement was hit by a violent earthquake, and the population moved downward in the valley.
Sights & Excursions
Altitude: 740 m a.s.l -- Distance from L'Aquila: 17 km -- Population: ca. 2500 inhabitants -- Zip code: 67017 -- Phone Area Code: 0862 -- How to reach it: road: ss 80 from L'Aquila
Autoroute A24 exit L'Aquila Ovest
Events & Festivities
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
|©abruzzo2000 - all rights reserved|