|Abruzzo Province of Pescara Cappelle sul Tavo|
Cappelle sul Tavo
Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
The village rises in a panoramic position on a hill, where the river Tavo flows into the river Fino. An independent municipality since 1906, it was before part of the municipality of Montesilvano.
Altitude: 122 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 11 km -- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65010 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: road: S.N. 16 bis from Montesilvano; motorway: A14, exit Pescara Nord
Sea fossils have been found at Colle Barbone, which shows the area was in origin under water. The name probably derives from a number of small "cappelle", chapels, among the woods. The name "Cappelle" also appears in documents of the XI and XII centuries and is represented in the emblem of the town, showing 2 Gothic chapels. The first information about the medieval village date back to the XII century. The area was a busy route for pilgrims and travellers, and in the XVI century there was a military headquarter. In the XVII century farmers from Jugoslavia were brought to work on the lands of the Barons of Civita Sant'Angelo. In the XVIII century it belonged to the Figliola family, then it came under the jurisdiction of the commune of Montesilvano. In 1833 the King of Naples gave it to his swiss Baron Rodolfo de Landerset, who had married a local lady.
Events & Festivities
What to see
Genealogy, News & Links
|©abruzzo2000 - all rights reserved|