Archeological findings èpoint towards the existence in the area of an ancient Roman town, and there is a legend saying that this ancient town was called Altilia. In 883 it is mentioned in the Chronicon Casauriense as part of the diocesis of Pelle. In 1269 Civitaquana was granted as a feifdom by King Charles of Anjou to poet Sordello da Goito but he probably died immediately afterwards, since the king gave Civitaquana to Bonifacio di Galiberto. In 1458 king Ferrante d'Aragona granted the lordship to Laudadio De Lagmyniano, "Giustiziere" of Abruzzo, whose palace can still be seen in the main square. A Leognani descendant marriedthe sister of famous condottiere Ettore Fieramosca, and the surname of the wife was added to the family.