|Abruzzo Province of Pescara Pietranico|
Province of Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated on a hill on the Eastern side of the Rota river, Pietranico takes its name from a large rock around which the ancient castle, called Pietraniqua, was built. Later on the name appears as Petrainiqua and Petram Iniquam. Apart from the castle, which is very ancient, most of the village was built from the 15th century onwards, and there are some fine 19th century palaces, as well as the Sanctuary of Madonna della Croce, which is really worth a visit. The popularity in the area of the rural saints Rocco and Michele is a sign of the ancient agricultural and pastoral economy of the place.
Altitude: 590 m a.s.l -- Distance from Pescara: 46 km -- Population: ca. 600 inhabitants -- Zip code: 65020 -- Phone Area Code: 085 -- How to reach it: road: A25 exit Torre de' Passeri; - bus: from Pescara -- Frazioni: Valle Barone
In many documents from the Chronicon Casauriense the "castle of Petraniqua", is often mentioned, and it looks like it was acquired in the 11th century by the Abbey of Casauria, being originally founded by some baron possibly of Norman origin. With the decadence of the Abbey, Pietranico and nearby castles were given by the monastery to feudal lords of the area, namely a Gualtiero from Collepietro and, in the late 12th century it belonged to Sansone di Pietranico, as vassal of Gualtiero Gentile. One century later it came under Guglielmo di Letto, and in 1514 under Giovan Giuseppe Cantelmo, first Duke of Popoli. The Cantelmos sold Pietranico to Fabio d'Afflitto, Count of Trivento, then the lordship passed to other families, namely the Mattucci, Tomasetti and Malvini-Malvezzi from Matera. Di Pasquale Donato Giuseppe born in Pietranico and deceased in 1998 at 66, was a friar and a great music scholar.
What to see
Events & Festivities
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
|©abruzzo2000 - all rights reserved|