In a panoramic position at the foot of Mount Morrone, this centre is divided into an ancient part in a higher position, called Salle Vecchia, seriously damaged in 1933 by an earthquake, and a newer, recently built part where most of the population now live, at a lower altitude. Between Salle Vecchia and the modern centre rises the magnificent castle. In the past Salle was known for his artisans makers of musical cords. Nowadays it is a good starting point for excursions to the Mount Morrone area, covering the territory of Valle Peligna, Maiella and the Pescara valley.
The name of the place is probably of Lombardic origin, meaning meeting place, which is explained by the strategic position of the fortress, controlling from all cardinal pointsa very wide area, and being in visual conact with a whole network of other fortresses and towers. By the end of the X century Salle is mentioned in a document contained in the Chronicon Casauriense, and in 1191 it was included among the 72 castles controlled by the monastery of San Clemente a Casauria.
Later on a number of feudal lords controlled the place, among them the Colonna, Gonzaga, Carafa, d'Aquino e and finally di Genova families. In recent years Baron Mario di Genova worked passionately in restoring the castle, in a bad shape after the 1933 earthquake, and established inside it a museum of local history.