|Abruzzo Province of Teramo Castiglione Messer Raimondo|
CASTIGLIONE MESSER RAIMONDO
Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
On a narrow plateau dominated by the majestic Gran Sasso, and overlooking from southwest the river Fino, this village is typical for its architecture of sandstone houses.
Altitude: 306 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 41 km -- Population: ca. 2600 inhabitants -- Zip code: -- Phone Area Code: -- How to reach it:
- bus, trains: from Teramo
The early settlement was comprised within the territory of the Vestines and later the municipium of Pinna. At nearby Colle San Giorgio neolithic and bronze remains reveal that the area was inhabited since prehisotric times. In the same site there also remains of a II-century temple were found (now kept at Chieti National Museum), and at Apignano, S. Salvatore and Borgo S. Maria traces of Roman country houses and farms have been found. In the early Middle Ages there are two important churches and Benedictine communities at S. Giorgio di Collina and S. Maria di Luquiano. In 1193 Castiglione was plundered by Norman troops belonged to the Duchy of Atri and later to Raimondo Caldora (who left his name to the village).
Sights & Excursions
Events & Festivities
Genealogy, News & Link
|©abruzzo2000 - all rights reserved|