|Abruzzo Province of Teramo Cortino|
Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
Located at the foot of the Monti della Laga, it is the highest commune in the province of Teramo and includes more than 19 villages. The term Cortino is a diminutive of "short", to indicated a small farm inhabited by settlers. Its territory is rich in springs and unspoilt landscapes. In the hamlet of Elce, there is a forest of very rare white fir trees.
Altitude: 1000 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 28 km -- Population: ca. 960 inhabitants -- Zip code: 64040 -- Phone Area Code: 0861 -- Frazioni: Agnova, Altovia (abandoned), Caiano, Casagreca, Casanova, Collegilesco, Comignano, Cunetta, Elce, Faieto, Fonte Palumbo, Lame, Macchiatornella, Padula (previously Rocca di Padula), Pagliaroli, Pezzelle, Piano Fiumata, Servillo, Vernesca
The name Cortino appears for the first time in 1029, but the discovery in the hamlet of Pagliaroli of the remains of a large temple, dating from the 3rd-2nd century BC show that the history of this place is much older. During the 12th century it was donated to the Bishop of Teramo. In 1529 it became part of the "Stato della Montagna di Roseto" under the Acquaviva family, who were lords of the area until 1806. At the end of the 18th century the place had 190 inhabitants. In 1813 the old feud was divided in the two communes of Crognaleto and Cortino.
Sights & Excursions
Events & Festivities
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Link
|©abruzzo2000 - all rights reserved|