ROSETO DEGLI ABRUZZI
Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
A renowned seaside resort, perfect for a relaxing holiday for families, Roseto degli Abruzzi is located between the two rivers Tordino and Vomano, and strikes the visitor with its fine, late 19th-century villas. Tourism is the main resource today even if there are on the territory also food-processing firms and wineries, as well as the production of cereals, beet roots and wine grapes.
Altitude: 5 m a.s.l
-- Distance from Teramo: 34 km
-- Population: ca. 2100 inhabitants
-- Zip code: 64026
-- Phone Area Code: 085
-- Frazioni: Bonaduce, Campo a Mare, Casal Thaulero, Cologna Paese, Cologna Spiaggia, Montepagano, San Giovanni, Santa Lucia, Voltarrosto
-- How to reach it: motorway: A14 uscita Roseto
- road: s.s. 16 Adriatica, S.S. 150 from Teramo
Roseto of the Abruzzi officially saw the light as a municipality on 22 May 1860, on the site of a small rural borough called "Le Quote" that rose near the coast in the early 19th century, an emanation of the medieval village of Montepagano located on the top of the hill. Then in 1887, after the inauguration of the railway station, it took the name of Rosburgo: in this period the first hotel was built by enologist Giovanni Thaulero. Very quickly Rosburgo became an established tourist resort and it was one of the first Aziende di Soggiorno in the Region and today 42 beach facilities, 37 hotels, 10 campsites welcome a large tourism with their century-old, local hoteliers' tradition. Only in 1927 the name was changed from Rosburgo to the current Roseto degli Abruzzi, chosen because of the presence of fabulous rosebushes used once to embellish the outside of fishermen's houses.
Another important center included in the municipality of Roseto is Cologna, of Roman origin, often mentioned in medieval documents above all in relation to the presence of the Monastery of San Salvatore in Bozzino.
The numerous archaeological findings show that the territory of current Roseto degli Abruzzi was already inhabited in the Roman Age. For centuries Montepagano was the main center in the area. It is mentioned in several documents both for the presence of the Emperor Lotharius and because it was part of the possessions of the Abbey of San Giovanni in Venere. Remains of the ancient medieval fortifications can still be identified in the four entrance doors and in the Romanesque-Baroque bell tower built in red bricks, belonging in the past to the now lost church of Sant'Antimo.
In 1251 Montepagano was included in the newly established Diocesis of Atri. In 1424 the Acquaviva family obtained lordship over the territory of Montepagano, which they were to keep up to the French occupation in 1806 and consequent abolition of feudal rights.
Events & Festivities
- 2 July: Feast of the Sacro Cuore
- Late July : Wine festival with medieval Palio in Montepagano and exhibition of typical wines.
- Summer: International Basketball Tournament "Lido delle Rose"
- July - August: Summer music shows
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
See other Provinces of Abruzzo: Chieti
Sights & Excursions
- Church of Santissima Annunziata - In Montepagano, 7 Km from Roseto, harbors a very beautiful wooden chorus of the 17th century with a statue of the Annunciation of the XV century, a processional cross in silver by Pietro Santi, a remarkable walnut pulpit and a 17th-century organ.
- Church of S. Maria Assunta - Once Church of Santa Filomena, built in the early 1900's ha a peculiar altar in terracotta and a fine painting "Sacra Famiglia" by Pasquale Celommi (1851 -1928), reproduced on a stamp on the 60th anniversary of the Rosetan painter's death.
- Chapel "Russicum" - Near villa Paris, an orthodox church with fine frescos and icons.
- Pinacoteca Comunale - In the Villa Comunale (formerly Villa Ponno) in Roseto degli Abruzzi down town. It preserves significant works of artists from Roseto: painters Pasquale, Raffaello, and Luigi Celommi, ceramist Pier Giuseppe Di Blasio and ebanist Antonio De Simone.
- Museum of Cultura Materiale - Located in Montepagano, preserves objects on the jobs of the past, everyday tools no more used today, institutions and local personalities, images and photos.
- The Public Library, opened in 1860, with more than 15.000 volumes
- Collezione D'Ilario, near the Villa Comunale, a library of showbiz entertainment and the seat of the Istituto Dialettologico Abruzzese.
- The medieval Tower in Montepagano, the upper part a remake in the Baroque style.
Genealogy, News & Link
See larger map