You have just started, don't know much> Use all the resources within your reach
- Interview all the relatives you have, they might have info you never dreamed of
- Find the place where your ancestor is buried. Either an extract of death or a visit to the cemetery may give you the date
- Research with your surname through the Internet in the search engines
- Visit localized Messageboards and Guestbooks
You know the place and date of marriage> Ask for a marriage extract with ages of spouses and names of parents
If in Italy here is a model form: copy and paste it within your text editor, and make the necessary changes.
Make it easy for Italian municipality officials to fulfil you requests:
- state your connection to the person requested, so as to comply with the Italian privacy law, and give the reason for the certificate (citizenship, administrative, research)
- include an envelope with you address possibly already with Italian stamps
- include Italian money to pay for the certificates . Consider a maximum of 1 euro per certificate.
Your sources are exhausted, the municipality has not given a certificate or you don't want to wait>You can try the Civil Records in the archives
You can search in the Italian State Archive for Civil Records - Check if the years you need are available for your province - A new window will open, when you have checked close it and you'll be back here